Sometimes, the problems in a family are so great that children and young people are no longer able to live at home. Perhaps your parents are unable to cope or they are seriously ill. Or the tension or conflict between you and your parents is so bad that you can no longer live together.

In such cases, foster care can offer a solution, and the KESB (Child and Adult Protection Authority) will look – together with you – for another place for you to live. For example, this might be a foster family or a home (an institution).

Back to Lexicon